What is ESOS?
The Energy Saving Opportunities Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory energy assessment and saving identification scheme, designed to make businesses more competitive. The scheme has been estimated to lead to £1.6 billion in net benefits in the UK, with the majority of these being directly felt by businesses due to energy savings.
The scheme applies to all large businesses throughout the UK and applies to:
- Organisations that have 250 or more employees
- Organisations with fewer than 250 employees but have an annual turnover exceeding €50m (~£45m) or a balance sheet exceeding €43m (~£38.7m)
The governing body for ESOS is the Environment Agency (EA), who has the power to enforce penalties for non‐compliance. This includes the public disclosure of non‐compliant organisations, fixed financial penalties of up to £50,000 and additional penalties for each working day an organisation is non‐compliant.
For Phase 1, there were many non-compliant organisations and the EA have issued hundreds of non-compliance fines. The compliance date for the second ESOS compliance period is 5 December 2019.
How AA Projects can help
- Fully Qualified and Accredited Assessors
- Fast and efficient service
- Fully independent and impartial advice not tied to any equipment or energy suppliers
- Complete surveys that identify quick and effective ways to reduce your energy use and save money
- AA Projects have many years’ experience of project management and delivery of energy efficiency projects and can advise on how to implement any recommendations
- Advise on finance options including but not limited to; Private finance such as loans, outsourcing or energy performance contracts
- Our specialist energy survey team brings a unique mix of technical expertise and practical experience, helping clients to get best value from their ESOS audits.
Benefits of ESOS
- The process will identify energy savings for your organisation across a range of areas, including energy management, lighting, heating and transport.
- Energy saving opportunities should far outweigh the cost of the ESOS assessments. Previous estimates indicated potential energy savings are 13.5 times the cost of ESOS assessments. For example, an ESOS assessment costing £15,000 could identify savings of over £200,000.
- Energy efficiency information for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) reports and positive public relations and marketing.
For more information, contact the team.