The Grange, Leeds Beckett University
The Grange at Leeds Beckett University was originally a monastic farm that belonged to Kirkstall Abbey, which was rebuilt by Benjamin Wade in 1626.
The present building was designed by Palladian Architect James Paine and in 1834 the estate was renamed Kirkstall Grange and parts of the mansion block were remodelled. The Grange has a haunted history with chilling stories of ghostly cigar smoke and figures in black.
AA Projects were appointed to undertake a defect diagnosis inspection due to cracking noted in various walls and it was identified that there was serious rot and decay to several main timber supporting bressumer beams.
We were then appointed to proceed with the detailing and implementation of the structural repairs, all of which had to be carried out sympathetically to the historic nature of the building and resident ghosts.