What is SECR?
The Streamlined Energy & Carbon Reporting (SECR) framework comes into effect from April 2019. The scheme is the successor to the UK’s Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) Energy Efficiency Scheme and is intended to simplify energy and emissions reporting. SECR will apply to UK companies who meet the following criteria:
- More than 250 employees
- An annual turnover greater than £36m and annual balance sheet total greater than £18m
Around 11,900 organisations will now be required to disclose carbon emissions, almost triple the number covered by CRC. Companies consuming 40,000 kWh or less in the reporting period will be exempt. Public sector organisations will not be required to report.
Some key facts:
- Participants will be required to report their energy use, carbon emissions and energy efficiency measures in their annual reports
- The scheme will build upon existing mandatory greenhouse gas (GHG) reporting requirements and the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS)
- The CRC will be replaced with the Climate Change Levy (CCL). CCL rates will increase from April 2019
- Reporting of scope 1 and 2 emissions will be mandatory. Scope 3 emissions will be voluntary
- Energy use from electricity, gas, and transport (road, rail, air and shipping) is included in the scope of the scheme
- Participants must include an Energy Performance Indicator (EnPI) in their report.
- Reporting must include a commentary on energy efficiency actions taken
How AA Projects can help
AA Projects have significant experience helping organisations with energy and carbon compliance, data capture and management and effective internal engagement. We use Accredited Quality and Environmental procedures.
Some of the following is a guide:
- Carry out a gap-analysis on energy information already captured and compare to scheme requirements
- Prepare a data collection strategy to ensure all relevant information is captured and align this with other data collection processes
- Communicate reporting requirements within your organisation
- Ensure information is recorded in the annual report
For more information, contact the team.